Sunday, March 11, 2012

Information Processing


Information Processing

I completely agree with Piaget’s theories. As stated in this journal article, “Piaget made it clear that children learn through direct experiences and social interaction with peers. (Tracey, Morrow & Mandel, 2006)” I believe that this is how the majority of children learn successfully. Although we think that many times children learn from things they see, I think that it sticks in their memory more often than not if they are able to use or manipulate an object while learning new subject matter.

I have a couple of students in my class now whom have a hard time sitting still in the classroom and always need to be moving in order to stay focused on the information that we are learning. When I was growing up and still even now days teachers tend to assume that children need to be put on medication in order to keep their mind focused. However, what I have learned over the past year is that some people need something in their hands to play with in order to keep their minds off moving their bodies. I have allowed a couple of my students to have some sort of trinket that can stay in their hand or at their desk, which keeps their hands occupied, but they stay continuously focused on what I am teaching.

References:

Tracey. , Morrow , D., & Mandel, L. (2006). Lenses on reading : An introduction to theories and models.

No comments:

Post a Comment