Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Future of Distance Learning Mind Map


Before starting this course, I only thought about distance learning as online learning. Cell phones and Internet have been around since I was a child and are the only new advances of technology that I can think of. The usual mail, telephone, television have just been something that was always there. This is the reason why I have only thought of online learning as the only form of distance learning.

I feel the definition of distance learning is always changing because of the needs of learners that continue to change. As I look back on my life as a student and as a teacher, I have realized how much has changed in education. As a student, I do not recall the gap between students so large and the content in my courses weren’t as demanding. As a teacher, I have noticed the gap between students on the same grade level grow larger and larger. I have also noticed that with Common CORE Standards, the students are supposed to know much more content at a younger age.

If you look back in time the communication to bridge the distance gap has changed from generation to generation. According to Dr. Simonson, in 1833, the best way to bridge the gap was by mail correspondence. In 1906, the Calvert School of Baltimore was the first primary school to offer correspondence courses by mail. During 1922, distance learning was offered via radio broadcast. Pennsylvania State College and the State of Iowa were the first to use radio to broadcast courses. Based upon this information it seems that the best form of communication in that era is what has trended the new way of delivering instruction.

My new definition of distance learning is formal education in which the students are separated by distance, and achieve their academics through a form of technology/communication.

I think that distance learning can change by a person’s profession however, I think that for the majority the newest technology affects he entire world for the most part. However, professionals whose lives are changed constantly by growing technology are most affected by it. For instance, a graphic designer would have to be in the know constantly about new technology, whereas, a teacher would only know about the new technology that affects their job.

My vision for the future of distance learning is that it becomes a form of education that everyone can use and not feel intimidated by. Well-designed programs could also bridge intellectual, cultural, and social differences between students (Simonson, Smaldino, Albright & Zvacek, 2009). My hope is that as it evolves the variations of deliverance changes also. I have noticed in my own experience with online learning that there is a lot of reading and writing required. My thought is, not everyone is a good reader, or a good writer for that matter and could possibly be struggling with that aspect of online learning, no matter what their major is. I would like to see online learning become more diversified in allowing students to express what they have learned in their students. Rice (2006) suggested that the effectiveness of distance education has more to do with who is teaching, who is learning, and how that learning is accomplished and less to do with the medium.


References

Huett, J., Moller, L., Foshay, W., & Coleman, C. (2008). The evolution of distance education: Implications for instructional design on the potential of the web (Part 3:K12). Tech Trends, 52(5), 63-67

Simonson, M., Smaldino, S., Albright, M., & Zvacek, S. (2009).      Teaching and learning at a distance: Foundations of distance education. (4th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.

Video Program: “Distance Education: The Next Generation”

No comments:

Post a Comment