Thursday, March 21, 2013

Communicating Effectively




            We were asked to observe a piece of communication in three different modalities: as written text, as audio, and as video. Pause after receiving the communication in each modality, and reflect upon what you interpret the message to mean.

Here is what I observed from each communication modality.

Email:
Through an email, the message can come off a little rude. Instead of saying that you need that person to send you the report a.s.a.p., she went on in saying that the receiver is going to make her run behind if they haven’t done your work. She went further on, saying that if you haven’t finished your work; just send me what you have. This could come off as you saying that the receiver is not doing their work at all.

Voicemail:
This message wasn’t taken as being so rude because you could hear the tone of voice from the source. She sounded a little more relaxed in this setting.

Face-to-Face:
The smile at the end made her seem really friendly. I guess I could sense more concern in her voice because of the face-to-face environment. It also made me feel more sympathetic and would possibly make me want to get those documents to her sooner.

    How did your interpretation of the message change from one modality to the next?
    Starting off with the email I felt as though the message could be interpreted in any way, which could possibly leave the receiver upset. The voicemail was able to give me a sense of how that person felt by hearing the tone of their voice in the message left. The face-to-face message seemed to be the most effective because the body language and tone of voice brought clarity to the sender’s message.

    What factors influenced how you perceived the message?
    The tone of voice, written language, and body language were all key factors that influenced the way that I interpreted the message. According to Portny, et al. (2008), another way to avoid messages being perceived the wrong way is to avoid having an informal discussion with only some of the people who are affected by or involved directly with the specific topic.

    Which form of communication best conveyed the true meaning and intent of the message?
    I would prefer a face-to-face meeting on any occasion or at least Skype. The reason being because there is less chance that someone will interpret what you are saying negatively if they could see and hear how you are delivering the message. There is little room for misunderstandings when someone is delivering a message in person. Although there may still be some confusion, it is easier cleared up through a face-to-face communication rather than voicemail or written communication.

    What are the implications of what you learned from this exercise for communicating effectively with members of a project team?
    These activities made me realize that words are not always expressed effectively and can be taken in multiple different ways. The best way to communicate with a project team would be a face-to-face meeting if time permits. Dr. Stolovitch (n.d.) stated that there are two big things to remember about communication. He said remember to avoid ambiguity and document everything. Throughout working on a project a relationship with the stakeholders and team members over time, and they will learn what you can or cannot say to one another.




References


Portny, S., Mantel, S., Meredith, J., Shafer, S., Sutton, M., & Kramer, B. (2008). Project management planning, scheduling, and controlling projects. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.

Stolovitch, H. (Performer) (n.d.). Communicating with stakeholders. [Audio podcast]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu/webapps/portal/frameset.jsp?tab_tab_group_id=_2_1&url=/webapps/blackboard/execute/launcher?type=Course&id=_2652514_1&url=




6 comments:

  1. Ebony,
    I found your comments interesting and a little surprising. The surprising relates to you perceiving the message as rude.

    In my own perspective, as someone who has been responsible for submitting monthly reports that are reviewed and approved by a corporate finance team, I thought Jane was timid. In the report I compiled we were required to note any missing information and why it was missing. There were many times when this report was being reviewed and the Director of Corporate Accounting would pick up the phone and call someone in the organization demanding to know why they did not have their information in one time. This would be especially critical if it was the end of a quarter or at year end and reports had to be submitted to the SEC (Securities & Exchange Commission) within a short period of time.

    I think this is a time as IDs we need to understanding the dynamics of the organization we are dealing with and their standards of acceptable behavior which often includes a specific response time for critical issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joy,

      Just like a text message, I think that any text could be interpreted in any way. I see why you would have taking Jane's message and being timid because she wasn't confident and demanding in the message. I think being demanding could be interpreted as rude in a different situation. I believe it depends on the company and relationship that Jane had with the company. She could potentially be a new employee and didn't want to step on anyone's toes. Thanks for responding!

      Ebony

      Delete
  2. Ebony,

    As I read your blog, I found myself smiling at the differences in our interpretations. Overall, I felt the entire message was poorly conceived. The email came across to me as lacking confidence rather than rude. I even had to read it several times before understanding exactly what was meant.

    While you thought the face-to-face was friendly and concerned, I found her body language to show a lackadaisical attitude implying that she was saying what needed to be said but really was not concerned about how it came across.

    Isn't it interesting how different our perceptions were? I find myself all the time having to explain myself to individuals who don't know me very well so they understand that I didn't mean something a particular way. People who work with me closely know me and it is fine. I suppose that is why team members need to get to know each other so as to understand connotation and such.

    It's kind of like my kids at school. I know which ones I can joke around with, be sarcastic with, and which ones I can't because they won't necessarily "get" it. After time, people warm up to each other and feel more comfortable which helps with understanding the communication in the various contexts as well.

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Renee,

      The message was most definitely poorly received. I can see where you are coming from when you said that her body language showed a lackadaisical attitude. I was assuming she wasn't being as assertive because she could have possibly been new to the company. She maybe didn't want to come off rude initially. I also think that I need to shift my way of thinking to that of an instructional designer, and realize how assertive this position will require me to be.

      Ebony

      Delete
    2. Ebony,

      You are right about the assertiveness. The thing I am afraid will be challenging about that is to do it with grace and diplomacy!

      Renee

      Delete
  3. Ebony,

    I appreciate your comments on my blog. I've signed up to follow you.

    Sally

    ReplyDelete