Sunday, March 3, 2013

My Reflection on Distance Learning



            Currently there are still employers, teachers, students, and parents who are skeptical of distance learning. The reason being is because successful conversion of course delivery method is not always guaranteed (Schmidt & Gallegos, 2001). Thus, consumers need to continue to be aware and research the distance learning programs that they are interested in. Make sure that the organization is accredited, look up the yearly costs, and graduation rate. A helpful tool to use would be the College Scorecard, which is an interactive tool the government developed to help inform potential college students about our nation’s colleges (The White House, 2013).

In 5-10 years…
            The future of technology is very promising for all degrees of educations. I believe that online learning will become mainstream. The delivery and the interface of distance learning will continue to be enhanced which will attract more people.  People will start to realize that the geographic distance is no longer a factor. The use of more multimedia will began alleviating those feelings of not having a physical instructor present. According to Dr. Siemens, distance education benefit corporations by allowing them to interact with different offices around the world. They will also become more susceptible to distance education if we continue to bridge the gap of comfort in online courses (Siemens).

In 10-20 years…
            Distance education will become more prominent in traditional universities and I think more blended course will arise. This will also help the traditional university by allowing them to accept more students by implementing blended courses. I would like to think that this would lower the cost of education in America, but for some reason I think the cost of education will continue to increase because we will be paying for the convenience. However, people will become better educated because of the growing diversity that is occurring in online courses. I have learned the majority of what I know through course readings, and peer interaction. Distance learners must remain open-minded; there are many people in the world who have valuable opinions that could potentially change our way of thinking.

            As I continue on to graduate from an online program, I can exhibit the skills that I have learned through my job opportunities. Showing the employer how well trained I am, being a graduate of an online university, will positively change their perspective on online degree programs. As an instructional designer, I will be introducing the potential of distance learning and how it can positively affect their company. Not only will it save them money, but also it is a better and faster means of communication.

            I will continue to look for ways to improve distance education, by using best practices in my training courses. By loosely following ADDIE process to build my training courses, and conversing with the SME will help me create effective training courses. According to Schmidt and Gallegos (2001), providing the student with the best possible scenario where learning outcome will be maximized is the goal of course development. As I continue to develop my skills and implement them into my job field effectively, I will have an everlasting effect on those familiar and unfamiliar with distance education. Hopefully persuading them to use it once again.

References

Schmidt, E., & Gallegos, A. (2001). Distance learning: Issues and concerns of distance learners. Journal of Industrial Technology, 17(31), Retrieved from http://atmae.org/jit/Articles/schmidt041801.pdf

Siemens, G. (Performer) (n.d.). The future of distance education. [Video podcast].

The White House (2013). College scorecard. Retrieved from http://www.whitehouse.gov/issues/education/higher-education/college-score-card

No comments:

Post a Comment