Sunday, April 15, 2012

New Thoughts on Learning Theories


I have completely changed my view on learning theories and have realized that you can learn adequately through multiple. However, I believe that the social learning theory, connectivism, and constructivist theory suit me best now. I learn best when I connect new knowledge to old knowledge and through discussions. I learned in depth what each theory has to offer, that I did not know previously. Completing the learning theory matrix has really helped me differentiate the learning theories and styles.  I have also learned different ways to integrate technology into my classroom. I have also realized that I do not believe in the behaviorist theory like I had before.

Earlier on in this semester I stated, “Dr. Ormrod also stated that when you get information in two different ways it becomes much more memorable. I have always learned best when I am given a visual and verbal message to go along with what I am learning, and that is probably the reason why I retain the majority of what I learn. When I am learning something in class, I have to take down notes as well as write a diagram or picture to go along with their words.” This confirms my new learning theory choices of connectivism and constructivism. Constructivism views learning as a process in which the learner actively constructs or builds new ideas or concepts based upon current and past knowledge or experience. Connectivism views learning as a process of connecting specialized nodes or information sources.

I am always trying to connect what I am learning to my everyday life. This helps me maintain a connection to the new material and my retention level becomes higher. Technology is most important in my learning process because I use it to research information, write my assignments, blog, and to discuss various educational ideas. I also use technology as a reference for any research that I may have to do which makes collaboration must easier to do.

Researching the multiple learning theories has made me realize my own and has assisted me in understanding why others think certain ways or learn in other ways. It has also given me a guide as to how to instruct learners of other learning styles.

References
Connectivism. (2011, August 2). Retrieved from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connectivism

No comments:

Post a Comment