Sunday, April 22, 2012

Reflection


One of the most surprising things that I realized this semester was that all this time I thought that believed in the behaviorist theory above all. After completing the learning theory matrix I realized that my own learning experience matched that of connectivism and constructivism.  I had also realized that the first time I learned these theories, I really didn’t learn them. Now I know, constructivism views learning as a process in which the learner actively constructs or builds new ideas or concepts based upon current and past knowledge or experience, and connectivism views learning as a process of connecting specialized nodes or information sources. Finding out this information has changed my entire outlook on the way I teach as well. I have now found multiple ways to reach my students, ways that I have not used before.
I now have the keys ways that I need to enhance the way I learn, and when I find information hard to ingest that I will tweak it into a different format that I know I can understand. Learning will become much easier now that I know my personal combination of learning patterns. I am always trying to connect what I am learning to my everyday life and now I know why. I believe that my retention level will increase as a result of realizing this. There have been many times that I learn information temporarily so that I am able to pass a test, and then right after the test I completely forget the information. It is like I always had the keys to success, but never realized it.
I have learned that learning theories give different views on how learners construct meaning during the learning process. Learning style is the type of method that a student uses to learn. Educational technology gives students a variety of ways to learn, and are not secluded to one style of teaching. Motivation is highly important in a classroom or online setting, and is the key to the success of a student. If the right amount of motivation is given, the learning environment will completely change in a positive way.
The most important things that I will take with me from this course were the learning strategies that we discussed. Learning strategies have nothing to do with each individuals learning style, so they can use they to digest any information. Knowing that you can teach someone an effective way to learn will improve their skill of learning and my ability to deliver information adequately. Along with teaching students proper learning strategies, the combination of motivation will improve the confidence beyond belief. If most students had the right tools to be successful, the world as a whole would be a better place.

No comments:

Post a Comment